Friday, October 14, 2011


Well here is is fall already and it still is not getting very cold out here in Sunny California. But I know the weather will change soon and then it will be stews and soups weather, however I for one am not waiting. I came across a recipe recently on the web for 'Chicken Stew with Parsley Dumpings', (the recipe is below). Seeing the recipe really got me thinking about my Grandma Taylor's recipe for Chicken and Dumplings (Her recipe is also below). Believe me it is the best Chicken and Dumplings you can have, so easy and so,so good.
My Grandma was an incredible cook, unfortunately I was too young and too much of a picky eater when she and my Grandpa were still alive to enjoy much of her creations but her recipe for Chicken and Dumplings was passed down to my sister and so we make it to this day just like grandma made it.
Her simple recipe was no fuss, no muss.You can have it on the table in about 40 minutes. Like I said before it is very good but I had to modify it a bit. My sister taught me how to make Grandma's Chicken and Dumplings but until a few ears ago I never tried making it. One day I decided to give it a try. I never boiled chicken before and my parents were on a road trip so I called a friend and asked 'how do I cook chicken for soup?' She told me to add diced onions, carrots and celery to the water while the chicken cooked and add some thyme, parsley flakes, a little cumin, some garlic powder and salt and pepper to taste. Well I started adding all the vegetables and seasonings when my sister came into the kitchen and said "That is not how you make Grandma's Chicken and Dumplings". I said "I know but I am trying it a bit different this time". Well after it was finished Judy (The aforementioned sister) said that "we should make it this way from now on". I totally agree. :)
Here are the recipes. Grandmas is first with my mods in parenthesis and the Chicken Stew with Parsley Dumplings is next. I found the Chicken Stew recipe on the web somewhere but it has been so long that I don't remember where I got it at. Ah well... Hope you enjoy.

Grandma Taylor's Chicken and Dumplings
1 Whole chicken, cut up. (6 chicken thighs, bone in and skin on)
6 cups water
(2 large carrots, chopped. Reserve 1/4 cup)
(1 medium yellow onion, chopped. Reserve 1/4 cup)
(3 stalks celery, chopped. Reserve small handfull)
(1 tablespoon Parsley flakes)
(Pinch dried Thyme)
(Small pinch cumin)
Salt and pepper to taste
2 1/4 cups baking mix (Bisquick)
2/3 cup milk
(Chopped Parsley for garnish, if desired)

Bring chicken, (seasonings and vegetables) to a boil, reduce heat and cook for 20 mins or until chicken is done.
Meanwhile mix baking mix (Bisquick) and milk in a bowl until soft dough forms, you may have to add a little more baking mix. On a lightly floured surface roll out dough to 1/8th inch thickness and cut into 1 1/2 inch squares.
Remove chicken from broth and debone completely, removing all the skins and shred into bite sized pieces. 
Skim foam from broth and put chicken pieces back in. Add reserved onions, carrots and celery and bring back to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and drop dumplings in, one by one, using a spoon to drop them into the liquid and not on top of one another, until all are incorporated. Cover and simmer for additional 20 minutes (this is important as covering caused the dumplings to partly boil and partly steam, don't uncover until the 20 mins is up, then check dumplings to see if they are done. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley and Enjoy!
If you have leftover turkey this Thanksgiving you can make this with it, instead of cooking the turkey in the water with the seasonings and veggies just use canned chicken stock and add the chopped turkey in just before you add the dumplings.


Chicken Stew with Parsley Dumplings2 1/2 to 3 lb. broiler fryer, cut up
4 C. water
1/2 C. chopped onion
5 Tbs. chicken instant bouillon or 5 bouillon cubes
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 C. sliced carrots
1/3 C. all purpose flour
1/2 C. water
1 1/2 C. sliced celery
2 C. biscuit baking mix
2/3 C. milk
1 Tbs. parsley flakes

Heat chicken, 4 C. water, onion, bouillon and pepper to boiling in a 4 qt. Dutch oven; reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes. Add carrots and celery, simmer for 15 minutes. Mix flour and 1/2 C. water. Stir mixture into chicken broth, chicken and vegetables in Dutch oven and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Mix baking mix, milk and parsley until soft dough forms. Drop by spoonfuls onto boiling stew. Cook, uncovered over low heat for 10 minutes. Cover and cook 10 minutes more.

No comments: